The year of cold sheep started well with no yarn or fibre purchases in the month of January.
I managed to use up 162 yards of commercial yarn in a pair of mittens
and another 1,248 yards of handspun yarn in a short-sleeved dress
I also spun 200g of fibre into 766 yards of fingering weight yarn.
Total yarn out: 1,410 yards
Total yarn in: 766 yards
Net yarn reduction: 644 yards
Fibre stash reduction: 200g.
It’s a start.
I am slowly working my way through my older patterns, re-writing them, re-working them, and adding extra options.
My first pattern to get this treatment is the Dayflower cowl. This has been completely re-worked and re-written for additional sizes.
A delicate cowl with a travelling leaf pattern designed to be made in fingering/4ply yarn. Fully adaptable for width and circumference. Pattern includes written instructions for stitch pattern, stitch counts at the end of each round and charted instructions for stitch pattern.
Updated October 2015 for more information about sizing and gauge.
Yardage requirements and finished dimensions:
- single loop version (circumference 32”/81cm, width 12.5”/32cm) – 180 yards
- double loop version (circumference 46”/117, width 12.5”/32cm) – 300 yards
- triple loop version (circumference 64”/112, width 9.5”/24cm) – 320 yards
- quadruple loop version (circumference 96”/244cm, width 9.5”/24cm) – 410 yards
2 pdf files are provided – a printer friendly version and one with all of the high-res images.
for £2.50 plus VAT.
I have previously posted about what happened to the first part of the Shetland sweater pack from Hilltopcloud that I spun up into 2,396 yards of fingering weight 2-ply yarn. The first part was turned into a sweater and I liked the pattern Chantalle so much (and having already paid for it) I decided to turn the remainder of my sweater pack yarn into a cardigan version of the same pattern.
This pattern is worked top-down, so once I had completed the yoke I was able to work the arms to the desired length and then just keep on knitting until almost all of the yarn was used up, finishing with some ribbing. I am very happy with the result, and look forward to using up some of my other handspun yarn on similar large projects such as this.
I love how the variegation in the dyeing is shown off by the simple stockinette majority, but is not lost in the lace sections.