My current knitting project (a purple cricket jumper – one day I may make a cricket jumper in a conventional colour, but I doubt that day will be anytime soon) has been put on hold as I took delivery of both a small greenhouse (perfect for drying yarn in over the winter) and 50 skeins of superwash sock yarn.
The yarn arrived in hank form in bundles of 5s, so much twisting was required to get it all into my new stackable storage bins from Ikea. All skeins are considerably longer than what I have worked with in the past, so I will have to consider my approach to variegated colourways with respect to this.
I also got 5 skeins of BFL lace to experiment with, possibly something in a more delicate, paler set of colours than the sock yarn.
Since my mixed purple didn’t come out to my satisfaction I overdyed in Tyrian Purple to come up with Bella (above) and Sunset (below).
Amazing what a difference reskeining makes. Above is before and here is after:
I finally managed to get some shots of my latest dyeing project. The scarlet and tangerine were a pain to photograph and my white balance is completely blown in daylight at the moment. I will look into taking more photos in the future but what I have took a good couple of hours.
I am very happy with my first forays into creating my own hand-dyed yarn. Starting with a couple of skeins of undyed Trekking XXL yarn and 6 dye samples I microwaved myself up a storm.
The two colourways created from this experiment: summer rains and limeberry blues can be found on the yarns page.
Photos will follow once I have had chance to knit them up.