2014 was the year in which I decided to have a go at spinning fibre into yarn. I started with a drop spindle kit from HilltopCloud and dove straight in.
My first attempt was what you would expect, a bit lumpy and bumpy. Thick in some places, thin in others. But it was yarn
and I turned it into some fingerless mitts.
My spindling efforts gradually improved as I started to get the hang of drafting and I began to create some consistent singles.
Tour de Fleece came along in July and I focused my time and efforts on my spindling. I also tried my hand at basic plying (also on my drop spindle), and was pretty happy with the results.
I was spinning some pretty fine singles by this point, so gave chain-plying a go. A bit of a pain but possible to do on a drop spindle, though time consuming.
In September I bought my first spinning wheel: an Ashford Joy 2 and used it to ply some singles I was finishing spindling.
I haven’t touched any of my spindles since. From my first wheel-spun yarns I have moved from 2-ply
to chain plying.
The final yarn I spun (and finished) in 2014 is 174 yards of fingering weight chain plied Dorset Horn fibre:
2014 has been another busy year on the knitting front. I have completed 42 projects using 23,456 yards of yarn (a very pleasing number). Some favourites include an Octopus Embrace sweater for me
and a mini one for my nephew
I’ve made three baby deathflake sweaters
all for other people, and the colourwork didn’t stop there. 2014 seemed to be a year of colourwork and steeking including Venezia at the beginning of the year
all the way through to its colour-twin Grellow in October
(it’s supposed to be that baggy, I plan on using it as a coat).There were also a couple of lightweight cardigans in the mix: Morning Breeze
and Water & StoneThere was also the usual mix of hats, cowls, mittens and baby clothes for new arrivals. I started spinning this year (that will get its own post) and had to start working with handspun. My early efforts became hats:
and as I improved and began working on a spinning wheel instead of a spindle there were more matching pieces: hat
Lace pieces were only to be found in newly designed patterns such as Pentire Point.
There was also a lot of hexagons knit for a beekeeper blanket, but that is still an ongoing project that will run over into next year…