Monthly Archives: February 2017

Stashdown 2017 – February progress

February has been a quiet month in terms of stashdown. I started with spinning up some fibre, 300g (really 310g) of Corriedale becoming 1,578 yards of light fingering weight 2-ply.

I then¬†decided to try my hand at weaving to use up some yarn. It had been a few years since I’d used the loom so figured I should have a bit of a test run first. My first experiment with trying to use two heddles to weave a double wide cloth did not go as planned, and ended up in a lot of yarn, 1,007 yards, making its way to the bin (but at least it was cheap leftovers from another project).

I stuck to weaving strips of fabric from my handspun and sewing them together to make a bit of a wobbly blanket (the strips weren’t all of the same length in the end), using up 2,600 yards.

Total monthly yarn out: 3,607 yards, 926g
Total monthly yarn in: 1,578 yards, 310g

Net monthly yarn decrease: 2,029 yards, 616g

Monthly fibre stash reduction: 300g.

Total yarn out ytd: 6,885.5 yards, 3,501g
Total yarn in ytd: 3,900 yards, 826g

Net yarn decrease ytd: 2,985.5 yards, 2,675g

Fibre stash reduction ytd: 800g.

Stashdown 2017 – January progress

January has come and gone and so too has some of my stash (both yarns and fibre). I started by sorting through my yarn stash and donated yarns that I wouldn’t use to my local Children’s Scrapstore. This got rid of a large chunk which was mostly thick (and cheap) cotton bought to practise the principles of weaving with when I first got my loom.

Unwanted yarn ready to be sent to children's scrapstore tomorrow #stashdown2017

A photo posted by @fakoriginal on

In total that reduced my stash by 3,278.5 yards and 2,575g (remembering that for some of these yarns I have only weight and not yardage).

I also got on with some spinning for a blanket I am planning to weave, starting with 300g of Black Welsh top turning into 1,322 yards of 2-ply fingering weight yarn (which now weighs 304g)

Next I tackled some grey Corriedale fibre, turning what was supposed to be 100g into 524 yards and 105g of 2-ply light fingering weight yarn.

Then I spun up 100g of dark brown Corriedale to make 107g of 2-ply light fingering weight yarn totally 476 yards.

Turns out the people I have been buying this fibre from have been overestimating slightly on the weight.

A quick reminder of what I started the year with (adjusted for some white Welsh top that had been spun but not marked as completed at the end of the year):


  • 56,641.8 yards
  • 15.071kg


  • 4.45kg

Total monthly yarn out:  3,278.5 yards, 2,575g
Total monthly yarn in: 2,322 yards, 516g

Net monthly yarn decrease: 956.5 yards, 2,059g

Monthly fibre stash reduction: 500g.

Revised totals:


  • 55,685.3 yards
  • 13,012kg


  • 3.95kg

Total yarn out ytd: 3,278.5 yards, 2,575g
Total yarn in ytd: 2,322 yards, 516g

Net yarn decrease ytd: 956.5 yards, 2,059g

Fibre stash reduction ytd: 500g.