I have previously posted about what happened to the first part of the Shetland sweater pack from Hilltopcloud that I spun up into 2,396 yards of fingering weight 2-ply yarn. The first part was turned into a sweater and I liked the pattern Chantalle so much (and having already paid for it) I decided to turn the remainder of my sweater pack yarn into a cardigan version of the same pattern.
This pattern is worked top-down, so once I had completed the yoke I was able to work the arms to the desired length and then just keep on knitting until almost all of the yarn was used up, finishing with some ribbing. I am very happy with the result, and look forward to using up some of my other handspun yarn on similar large projects such as this.
I love how the variegation in the dyeing is shown off by the simple stockinette majority, but is not lost in the lace sections.
My favourite indie fibre dyer, Katie Weston at hilltopcloud, offers Shetland sweater packs in 500g continuous strips. I spun mine up as part of this year’s Tour de Fleece, but only recently got round to working with it. The idea is that 500g should be enough to allow you to knit or crochet an entire sweater. I spun my fibre up to a fingering weight (my preferred weight of yarn to work with), managing to create 2,396 yards total.
I wanted a simple pattern to show off the variations from the dyeing and spinning, so picked Chantalle by Vanessa Smith. This pattern is mostly stockinette with a lace collar in a v-neck. It knit up nice and quickly and only used 231g (1,092 yards), under half of the sweater pack.
I plan on using the remainder of the pack to make the same pattern, but this time in a cardigan.
I am going to Iceland for a few days in December to celebrate my sister’s 40th birthday. As well as planning to leave space in my luggage for Icelandic wool to bring back, I thought I would take this opportunity to knit a traditional Icelandic cardigan to take and wear whilst there. Just to go that extra mile I also spun the yarn from Icelandic fibre in natural colours (and the pattern I worked from was written in Icelandic, which I can’t read, but the colourwork had charts).
It went from fibre: