Tag Archives: handspun

Cold Sheep 2016 – July progress

July was never going to be a good month for reducing my total stash (except my fibre stash) due to Tour de Fleece. With a holiday at the end of the month also putting paid to much knitting, the month went a bit like this:

206g Dinorwic – (50% Merino, 25% Shetland, 12.5% Mulberry Silk, 12.5% Baby Alpaca) became 1,022 yards of light-fingering weight 2-ply yarn

http://www.ravelry.com/people/fak/handspun/dinorwic http://www.ravelry.com/people/fak/handspun/dinorwic

    206g Pembroke – (50% Merino, 25% Shetland, 12.5% Mulberry Silk, 12.5% Baby Alpaca) became 1,072 yards of light-fingering weight 2-ply yarn

http://www.ravelry.com/people/fak/handspun/pembroke http://www.ravelry.com/people/fak/handspun/pembroke

    204g Sheep – (50% Merino, 25% Shetland, 12.5% Mulberry Silk, 12.5% Baby Alpaca) became 918 yards of fingering weight 2-ply yarn

http://www.ravelry.com/people/fak/handspun/sheep http://www.ravelry.com/people/fak/handspun/sheep

    209g Organic Polwarth became 1,036 yards of light-fingering weight 2-ply yarn

http://www.ravelry.com/people/fak/handspun/polwarth http://www.ravelry.com/people/fak/handspun/polwarth

    100g Southdown became 284 yards of sport weight chain plied yarn

http://www.ravelry.com/people/fak/handspun/southdown http://www.ravelry.com/people/fak/handspun/southdown

    197g Marvellous Mauve – (40% Corriedale, 30% BFL, 30% Bamboo) became 760 yards of fingering weight 2-ply yarn

http://www.ravelry.com/people/fak/handspun/marvellous-mauve http://www.ravelry.com/people/fak/handspun/marvellous-mauve

    199g Tudor Dress – (45% Merino, 25% Finn, 25% Silk, 5% Stellina) became 804 yards of fingering weight 2-ply yarn

http://www.ravelry.com/people/fak/handspun/tudor-dress http://www.ravelry.com/people/fak/handspun/tudor-dress

I did just manage to finish off another test cardigan pattern before the end of the month, which saved my numbers a little bit (but I only just took photos, hence the delay to this blog post). It used up 1,264 yards of fingering weight yarn

http://www.ravelry.com/projects/fak/test-2

http://www.ravelry.com/projects/fak/test-2

Total monthly yarn out: 1,264 yards
Total monthly yarn in: 5,896 yards

Net monthly yarn increase: 4,632 yards

Monthly fibre stash reduction: 1,321g.


Total yarn out year-to-date: 15,800 yards
Total yarn in year-to-date: 14,884 yards

Net yarn decrease year-to-date: 916 yards

Fibre stash reduction year-to-date: 3,437g.

 

Cold Sheep 2016 – January progress

The year of cold sheep started well with no yarn or fibre purchases in the month of January.

I managed to use up 162 yards of commercial yarn in a pair of mittens

http://www.ravelry.com/projects/fak/ladybird-mittens

http://www.ravelry.com/projects/fak/ladybird-mittens

and another 1,248 yards of handspun yarn in a short-sleeved dress

http://www.ravelry.com/projects/fak/laneway

http://www.ravelry.com/projects/fak/laneway

I also spun 200g of fibre into 766 yards of fingering weight yarn.

http://www.ravelry.com/people/fak/handspun/jane-seymour-2

http://www.ravelry.com/people/fak/handspun/jane-seymour-2

Total yarn out: 1,410 yards
Total yarn in: 766 yards

Net yarn reduction: 644 yards

Fibre stash reduction: 200g.

It’s a start.

Shetland sweater pack – part 2

I have previously posted about what happened to the first part of the Shetland sweater pack from Hilltopcloud that I spun up into 2,396 yards of fingering weight 2-ply yarn. The first part was turned into a sweater and I liked the pattern Chantalle so much (and having already paid for it) I decided to turn the remainder of my sweater pack yarn into a cardigan version of the same pattern.

This pattern is worked top-down, so once I had completed the yoke I was able to work the arms to the desired length and then just keep on knitting until almost all of the yarn was used up, finishing with some ribbing. I am very happy with the result, and look forward to using up some of my other handspun yarn on similar large projects such as this.

http://www.ravelry.com/projects/fak/chantalle-2

http://www.ravelry.com/projects/fak/chantalle-2

I love how the variegation in the dyeing is shown off by the simple stockinette majority, but is not lost in the lace sections.

http://www.ravelry.com/projects/fak/chantalle-2

http://www.ravelry.com/projects/fak/chantalle-2