As I start 2016 I have taken stock (literally) of all of my yarn and fibre and decided that this is the year that I will go Cold Sheep. Going cold sheep is a commitment not to buy any more yarn (or fibre) and instead work from existing stash.
My stash is of a reasonable size
Stash January 2016
and can be divided out into my weaving stash
Weaving stash January 2016
my dyeing stash
Dyeing stash January 2016
my hand-dyed yarn stash
Handdyed stash January 2016
my commercial yarn stash
Commercial yarn stash January 2016
my handspun stash
Handspun stash January 2016
my undyed single-breed fibre stash
Undyed fibre stash January 2016
and my dyed fibre stash.
Dyed fibre stash January 2016
My plan is to only buy yarn if it is for a commission, and other than that to work exclusively from my existing stash. Unfortunately, as I use up my fibre stash I am generating more yarn and my plan is to knit 300g of yarn for every 300g of fibre I spin (a sweater coming in at about 300g or so). I am also working through my fibre stash chronologically, spinning my oldest fibre first, so expect to see a lot of undyed single-breed fibre being spun soon.
I wasn’t getting anywhere selling my yarn via google checkout on this website (even with advertising on Ravelry), so I bit the bullet yesterday and uploading to Etsy. I got my first sale within the first hour of them being online.
You can still access them through my Yarns page. I’ve also added some more photos to the Gallery page.
My current knitting project (a purple cricket jumper – one day I may make a cricket jumper in a conventional colour, but I doubt that day will be anytime soon) has been put on hold as I took delivery of both a small greenhouse (perfect for drying yarn in over the winter) and 50 skeins of superwash sock yarn.
The yarn arrived in hank form in bundles of 5s, so much twisting was required to get it all into my new stackable storage bins from Ikea. All skeins are considerably longer than what I have worked with in the past, so I will have to consider my approach to variegated colourways with respect to this.
I also got 5 skeins of BFL lace to experiment with, possibly something in a more delicate, paler set of colours than the sock yarn.
Since my mixed purple didn’t come out to my satisfaction I overdyed in Tyrian Purple to come up with Bella (above) and Sunset (below).
Amazing what a difference reskeining makes. Above is before and here is after:
I finally managed to get some shots of my latest dyeing project. The scarlet and tangerine were a pain to photograph and my white balance is completely blown in daylight at the moment. I will look into taking more photos in the future but what I have took a good couple of hours.
I am very happy with my first forays into creating my own hand-dyed yarn. Starting with a couple of skeins of undyed Trekking XXL yarn and 6 dye samples I microwaved myself up a storm.
The two colourways created from this experiment: summer rains and limeberry blues can be found on the yarns page.
Photos will follow once I have had chance to knit them up.