The Tour de Fleece ends today, and as Chris Froome crosses the line in Paris to be awarded his third yellow jersey I earn my own third virtual yellow jersey with the completion of my third Tour de Fleece. I went from a stretch target of 1.55kg of fibre, to a finished yardage of 5,896 yards of new handspun.
with only two of the fibres unspun.
It all got spun up like this:
- 206g Dinorwic – (50% Merino, 25% Shetland, 12.5% Mulberry Silk, 12.5% Baby Alpaca) became 1,022 yards of light-fingering weight 2-ply yarn
- 206g Pembroke – (50% Merino, 25% Shetland, 12.5% Mulberry Silk, 12.5% Baby Alpaca) became 1,072 yards of light-fingering weight 2-ply yarn
- 204g Sheep – (50% Merino, 25% Shetland, 12.5% Mulberry Silk, 12.5% Baby Alpaca) became 918 yards of fingering weight 2-ply yarn
- 209g Organic Polwarth became 1,036 yards of light-fingering weight 2-ply yarn
- 100g Southdown became 284 yards of sport weight chain plied yarn
- 197g Marvellous Mauve – (40% Corriedale, 30% BFL, 30% Bamboo) became 760 yards of fingering weight 2-ply yarn
- 199g Tudor Dress – (45% Merino, 25% Finn, 25% Silk, 5% Stellina) became 804 yards of fingering weight 2-ply yarn
See the gallery below for a day-by-day replay of the Tour.
Just the two big knitting projects to record as progress in my 2016 cold sheep challenge this month, with no spinning (since there will be plenty of that in Tour de Fleece in July).
First was a wraparound/waterfall cardigan using a total of 1,919 yards of handspun: a mixture of Hilltop Cloud Imperial Explosion, white Shetland, and a little bit of white superwash BFL (when the Shetland ran out).
Next up was a new design (shortly to enter testing) for another wraparound/waterfall cardigan, this time using 1,366 yards of white superwash BFL handspun which I may or may not dye later.
Total monthly yarn out: 3,285 yards
Total monthly yarn in: 0 yards
Net monthly yarn decrease: 3,285 yards
Monthly fibre stash reduction: 0g.
Total yarn out year-to-date: 14,536 yards
Total yarn in year-to-date: 8,988 yards
Net yarn reduction year-to-date: 5,548 yards
Fibre stash reduction year-to-date: 2,116g.